Monday, October 24, 2011

Well... good news and bad news...

Last week on Thursday I started not to feel so great... just like I have a cold not great... well, by Sunday the coughing had gotten fairly severe.  I went to an urgent care facility on Sunday to see if there was a cough suppressant that they could put me on so I could run the Marine Corps Marathon this coming Sunday.  Well, I get in to see the doctor and you know it is never a good sign when after she listens to your lungs and your breathing she says she wants to run blood work and do a chest X-Ray.

Well, after the blood work and X-Ray, we determined that (thank goodness) the coughing and infection had not spread too deeply into my lungs causing pneumonia, but I did have bronchitis, a sinus infection, walking pneumonia and the beginnings of strep throat.  Definitely not what I had planned for yesterday.  Thus after talking with the doctor, getting several shots to help speed the healing process and some crazy prescriptions, I decided that it would be unwise and potentially very harmful to my health to participate in the MCM this weekend.

I am not going to lie or sugarcoat the truth.  That decision was not fun, after all I have been preparing for this run for a while and I was truly looking forward to completing my first full marathon in DC for a great cause.  I had everything lying out ready to go... so last night I put everything away for this year's run.  Thus, overall, yesterday was a sad day for me. 

But, I have been cleared by the doctor to run in the Operation One Voice Special Operations Forces Run in two weeks.  She said she prescribed stronger medicine than normal and more shots so that I could be back up and running quickly.  I even have permission to try and sneak in 30 minute runs on Thursday,Friday, and Saturday with increasing to 45 minutes on Sunday and up to probably an hour or a little more next week... slow, but at least I will be running / jogging again. 

Sorry to be such a downer today, I was just so incredibly excited about the MCM.  Well, rest assured I will be doing it next year. 

To all 5 of my readers, thank you for your words of support and encouragement during my training.  You do not know how much that means to me and I look forward to updating this blog with photos and stories from the 7'th Annual Operation One Voice Special Operations Forces Run!

JCP

No comments:

Post a Comment