Thursday, July 21, 2011

Stupid is as Stupid does...

"Ask yourself: 'Can I give more?'. The answer is usually: 'Yes'." Paul Tergat, Kenyan professional marathoner

Well, I figured I would give everyone an update on my marathon training so far.  First, I had to take approximately a week off due to stupidity… Yes, that’s right folks; stupidity can cause you to have to take a break from training.  If only stupidity could stop people from voting or being elected to public office (but that is a story for another day).  Anyway, in my efforts to train for the marathon, I was running a bit ago and came across a lady with a stroller who would not move to one side or the other on the sidewalk.  Well, me being the obliging person that I am (please stop all internal chuckling now) decided to hop onto the road to pass her and then hop back onto the sidewalk to continue my run.  I must admit the execution of jumping off of the sidewalk went well, it was smooth, had a nice landing.  I mean - if this was an Olympic sport, I daresay my jump off the curb would have received a 10 and maybe an endorsement from Wheaties! 

However, in *hopping* back onto the curb I caught my right foot in a curbside sewer grate.  Yes, you heard me correctly, a sewer grate and my foot met… and yes, the sewer grate won.  Fail on Julie’s jumping ability.  Anyway, after nursing a sore ankle for a bit and pulling out of a race I was to run last Saturday I have kicked my training back up.  I have 37 miles to “sneak” back into my training from the time I missed, but, in doing the adult thing and taking time off I probably have ensured that I will in fact be healthy enough to complete the marathon. 

Anyway, my training is progressing as well as I could hope after taking some time off.  I’m getting my legs back under me and I am looking forward to getting a long run in this weekend, it will be my first long run since I apparently decided to face down a sewer grate and a mother with a stroller! 

JCP

No comments:

Post a Comment