Friday, July 22, 2011

The need to run...

Do you ever get the urge to just run?  To run as hard as you can, as fast as you can, as far as you can?  Yesterday I started getting the "urge" around lunchtime, and by the time I was preparing to leave work, that urge was about to drive me crazy!  Thus, as soon as I got home, I put my shoes on and went outside to see how far they would take me!  It was a great run!  When I finished, I was absolutely exhausted, but I felt great!  Talk about amazing runner's high!


Now, I have several friends who are not runners and don't understand why I sometimes say I *have* to run, so I will try to explain here...

There are times in life that you just need to go... to push yourself harder, faster... to gain control... to lose yourself... there are times you just need to go!  For me, running gives me a chance to simultaneously gain control and let my mind relax.  Running is second nature to me (to everyone, I guess!) and by letting my legs do what they were meant to, my mind can be on other things or absolutely nothing at all!  What a wonderful release after a day(s) of craziness!  Also, for me, running is something that I enjoy doing and it is something that gives me a sense of joy while I run.  If you have ever seen my running down the road, more than likely you have also seen me smiling.  And, no I don't smile because it is easy for me, I smile because even though it hurts sometimes and it isn't easy, I just love to run!  Also, there are so many people who would love to be able to run or even walk a few steps that for me to be critical of the gift I've been given would be selfish. 

Finally, I run because of the people I get to meet while running.  Case in point, yesterday while doing my "Forrest Gump" and just running, I met two nice older men out having a friendly chat debating the use of annuals versus perennials (flowers & plants).  Next, I saw a young mother (probably not even 20) out playing with her child and the child just looked as happy as could be!  After that, I waved and spoke with some retired ladies who were on their porch having lemonade in the shade.  A mile or so later, there was an older woman with an ancient looking dog hobbling around.  A little later I ran into some of the Funfest crowd (for those who aren't familiar with my hometown, they have a festival every year for 9 days with music, food, family activities, hot air balloons, etc), then I saw the Dobyns-Bennett High School drumline out practicing for football season (Go Drumline!).  Next I saw a co-worker running on the track.  I could go on and on, but, I will spare you!  Anyway, those people that I get to meet while running are also part of the reason I run. 

"I always loved running...it was something you could do by yourself, and under your own power. You could go in any direction, fast or slow as you wanted, fighting the wind if you felt like it, seeking out new sights just on the strength of your feet and the courage of your lungs."  Jesse Owens
Running into Albany with my friends from Operation One Voice... Day 2 of the run from Atlanta, Georgia to Tampa Florida.  Again, me smiling, I just love to run!

JCP

No comments:

Post a Comment