Monday, October 10, 2011

What to do in an emergency...

Sorry for not posting last week, but between work and Junior League's Holiday Market and being in a friend's wedding, my week was swamped!  I will get to more on Market and the wedding later this week, but today I wanted to reflect upon something that happened to me yesterday and truly saddened me.

I had gone to the store and when I returned home there was a dog that had been hit by a car right in front of my house.  Some nice people had stopped to try to look after the dog, however, they did not know who to call or what to do.  Please remember, if you have dogs or cats, make sure to keep a tag on them that identifies who the owner is and how to get in touch with you (preferably two numbers).  Thankfully for this dog, I knew who she was as I had walked her home on countless occasions.  Also, even if you are not a dog or cat owner, please remember that most areas have an emergency or after-hours clinic for animals in distress.

Finally, if you decide to adopt an animal, please remember that you are responsible for more than just feeding it and taking it to the vet annually.  You are responsible for loving it, caring for it, keeping it safe, providing its entertainment (remember you get to go out and socialize with people all day... however, for your pet, you are its ONLY social contact) and also realizing that the super cute puppy or kitten you adopted will one day be a senior dog or a senior cat and will need just as much, if not more, love and care.  You don't adopt a pet for just the good years or the good times, you adopt them for a lifetime.  I am not trying to scare anyone from adopting or having a pet, it is just a big responsibility and one that should be entered into with thought.

God Bless,
JCP

No comments:

Post a Comment