Monday, July 18, 2011

Hello Dolly...

Last night I went to see Dolly Parton perform in Knoxville to kick off her new tour.  Wow!  She is such a great performer and she is a blast to watch!  Unlike so many of the stars of today, she truly is a performer.  During the concert, she played no less than 8 instruments, sang some of her standards, many new songs and did her version of some classics.  Also, between songs she talked with the audience in what could only be interpreted as a stand-up comedic routine.  She had the audience laughing to hard at times we were close to tears.  Also, did I mention that she performed for almost 3 hours?  How many performers now will perform for that long? 

Additionally, if the performance wasn't entertaining enough, the crowd certainly was.  This was one of the most varied age groups at a concert I have ever seen.  There were people there whose age was measured in months to those who measured theirs in decades!  There were "city" people and "country" people there.  One thing that everyone had in common was that they LOVED Dolly!  Anytime she said anything or sang anything, people were cheering, dancing, singing along.  It was quite fun to watch (as if the show on the stage wasn't enough!).

To end my post for today, I have to put my favorite Dolly Parton quote (in response to a question by Johnny Carson about her feelings on blonde jokes):
"I'm not offended by all the dumb blonde jokes because I know I'm not dumb... and I also know that I'm not blonde."


JCP

No comments:

Post a Comment