Monday, May 23, 2011

On behalf of a grateful nation...


"We have enjoyed so much freedom for so long that we are perhaps in danger of forgetting how much blood it cost to establish the Bill of Rights."

Felix Frankfurter

As we approach Memorial Day, I feel that many Americans have forgotten why we have a day of Remembrance.  Memorial Days originally started over 2,000 years ago as ancient civilizations honored their dead.  In the United States it became increasingly popular in the north to honor the deceased soldiers after the Civil War and has since moved on to become a national holiday.

Now, however, most people view Memorial Day as simply an extra day of vacation or a really great sale at their favorite store.  It is my sincere hope that we can change that.  We owe it to those men and women who have made the ultimate sacrifice for our freedom to show our respect and our gratitude.  This week, I will be reflecting upon ways I can make a difference and show my respect. To start, on Monday, I will be taking my Grandmother to place a flag on my Grandfather's grave.  It is a small first step, but definitely one in the right direction I believe.

JCP

No comments:

Post a Comment