Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Did you know...

"The dog represents all that is best in man." ~ Etienne Charlet

"The Cat. He walked by himself, and all places were alike to him." ~ Rudyard Kipling

So, I didn't realize until yesterday that April is National Pet Month.  I am the proud family of two pets, Beauregard (Beau) a soon-to-be 16-year-old cat and Sadie a 3-year-old dog.  Since I was raised in a house that always had animals, I do not think I can even comprehend living without an animal companion.  

Beau was an only pet for 7 years before I got Sadie last year and their interactions have been not only entertaining to watch, but educational to experience.  The sheer age difference has created some interesting issues along with their completely polar temperaments.  Sadie is a "people" dog; in fact, I have never met a dog or any animal for that matter so fascinated with people.  She will ignore food, toys, everything to be with people, especially if she can sit on their lap and lick their faces!  Beau, alternately, has been referred to as the "Devil Cat"(obviously not by me!).  He is actually a very sweet and lovable animal, however, he is very much a one-person cat.  Therefore, he tends to be a little cantankerous when others are around, but would we expect any less from a cat.  Additionally, he is about to be 112 in human years as a cat, so I hope we all bear in mind that he has earned a little time to be cranky!

Anyway, I could discuss my four-legged family members all day, however, I will spare you!  However, I think we should all celebrate what pets give to us daily during National Pet Month!  I think Sadie might just get an extra walk and Beau might just get a little bit of catnip (i.e. kitty crack!).  

JCP

No comments:

Post a Comment